Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Friday, October 21, 2011

Purple Pudding

As I squeezed my way through the aisles of a local grocery store the other day, looking for something familiar to cook, I spied Tapioca!  I purchased it and then searched on-line for a recipe.  One cooking blog said Tapioca Pudding was comfort food!  Maybe there was something subconscious going on when I bought it. We did eat a lot of pudding and fruit as a main supper dish during the summer when I was a kid.

Then I remembered  PURPLE PUDDING, a  wonderful summer supper dish that my dear mother used to make.  Last year, looking through Mother’s old recipe box, I had copied the recipe more for a memory than thinking I would ever use it.  All it has in it is grape juice, tapioca and sugar with a pinch of salt.   No expensive eggs or milk.  Yesterday I found grape juice at a tiny “hole in the wall” store, so I was all set.  My tapioca isn’t the minute kind so I had to cook it a bit longer.  But it worked!  A lovely color!  And something cold to eat for supper!  Voila!  I hope Tom likes it…







Sorry kiddos, I deprived you of this when you were growing up.  You’ll have to come visit and I’ll make it for you here.   Some memories must come back with age.

5 comments:

  1. Great idea for supper! I too have deprived my kids of the pleasure of this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we just ate if for supper and Tom said "it's a little like eating grape jelly!" It really wasn't that good. I added a little of my homemade yogurt (which turned out incredibly well) and that made it palatable. Glad i didn't make a double batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Marcy, I can't believe that my mom deprived us of this too...such a bummer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the sweetened cream that we put on top made it better!

    ReplyDelete