Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Friday, March 23, 2012

34 Spring Breaks later...

Ever since the day I got involved with Cru at Fort Hays State,  vacations have meant conferences:
Fall Get-away, Christmas conference, Spring break conference.

Way back in 1978, my second year at FHSU,  I was invited to go to a spring break conference at Daytona Beach with Campus Crusade to learn how to share my faith. I wrote home asking for permission and, of course, money and I still have the note written to me by my Dad, on a tiny slip of paper, with his absolutely minuscule, neat-as-a-pin handwriting.   His little note started out "To my little missionary...".   How did he know?

That was many years ago and I'm still going to spring break conferences that teach students how to share their faith in Jesus Christ with others.

( I also have horrible memories of wearing my sister Donna's homemade  swimsuit! Yellow flowers. We had both made our own the previous summer out of calico fabric.  Two piece--well, kinda.  It was like baby doll pajamas if you know what I mean. It worked great for hoeing weeds in the garden when we wanted to get a tan, but wearing it on Daytona Beach?!!  I was absolutely mortified to wear it back then and I'm mortified today just remembering that I actually wore it in public!  I'm sooooo glad I don't have any pictures of that and hope no one else does either.)

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week we met from 8:00am to 5:30pm at our office.  There were approximately 30 students who participated in the two levels of training.  The mornings were given to teaching and training and the afternoons the students practiced sharing the gospel with students in the neighborhood and on campus. It was a great time.
An awesome teacher!  

Our group met outside in a covered lean-to.
 It's been a very windy, dusty week so we were always covered in dust by the end of the day.  


We ate sumptuous noon meals everyday cooked over the fire.  I told the cook she could come to my house once a week to cook for us!  She did a fabulous job.

                           Pumpkin squash, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, cabbages, carrots and of course, lots of onions
                                  went into the sauces served with rice.  Vegetables are plentiful at this time of year. 


and we washed all the dishes like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment