Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Walkin' the plank

Road construction.
         From a-z.
A whole new road.
         In front of our house.
         Dust and more dust.
Lots and lots of workers for Tom to make friends with.
Hauling out hundreds of truckloads of sand.
Reminds me of the parable of the house built on the rock and the house built on sand.   
              


There are two bridges over the Niger River here in Niamey:
         the "old" two lane bridge
         and a new four-lane bridge built recently by the Chinese.
The old bridge is the connection to downtown so is very, very busy but it is often blocked with broken down trucks or accidents or a cow dying as she was crossing the bridge (really, truly!).


So the new bridge is beautiful with its four lanes and sidewalks, but no one uses it because there is no good road connecting the bridge to the main road.  Soooo the Chinese are mid-way through a 14 month project of constructing a paved road between the two bridges and it passes directly in front of our house.


The latest step in the road building is digging water drainage canals on the sides of the roads. All done with pick axes and shovels.  That took another 5 feet off our driveway and left a deep chasm between me and the road! 




Tom tried to jump it, 
         before it was quite so wide.
           He made it, but our neighbor scolded him, saying "Old men shouldn't do that!" 


The same innovative neighbor found a plank that just fit across the gap for us and all the rest of the neighborhood to walk across.


What my dear neighbor didn't understand is that I have a horrible fear of chasms and narrow bridges--especially planks without rails! 


Joan M., you remember our being jettisoned into outer space on that red machine so we could paint the soffets on our house? Petrifying.

Erika, I know you understand.  Now is not the time to come visit us, dear.


I've gotten braver and no longer have to hold someone's hand to cross over.  It's given the neighbors something to laugh about as they watch the white lady creep across the plank.


The other day when I arrived home in a taxi with my bags from my monthly grocery shopping I panicked, wondering how I would carry a flat of 30 eggs- expensive eggs,  several heavy bags and a box of groceries and keep my balance crossing the bridge.  Fortunately, there was a crop of neighbor boys, thrilled to help me for a hundred francs.  

One day the road will be finished. In the meantime I'm facing my fears and walkin' the plank.

7 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful communicator, Marcy, and I love all the pics!

    "The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed." Deu 31:8

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so cute in that last picture Aunt Marcy! How will they cover the drainage ditch? -Danae

    ReplyDelete
  3. They won't. Except at our driveway--I hope! Otherwise it is wide open for kids and goats to fall into. It's cemented on 3 sides. Makes a great toilet and trash collector. They make a sidewalk right beside it. It's an interesting way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe 2 or 3 planks side by side may help in crossing the chasm? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Mom!!! I am so sorry you have to do this everyday. I will make sure to come visit when the project is finished!!! Way to be brave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren WolfenbergerMarch 7, 2012 at 3:54 AM

    I love your blog, Mrs. Dorsch! Erika has been telling me about her family member's blogs, and one day I finally just had to check them out! I am now officially a follower of yours, and probably sometimes Lindseys and Melissa's! Thanks for sharing, and for letting the Lord use your life to bless others.=)
    I am happy that you are facing your fears. That is a good example to Erika.;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marcy, I remember well the fear you had of the "GA" machine and how we laughed together when you were crouched down on the floor when we were "extended" by Tom for painting the eves...those were fun times(well, not fun for you with the height thing going on, lol :) I think you will love the new paved road when it is complete...you really look classy in your threads walking the plank. That ditch looks dangerous...I'm with the comment that suggests more boards together!!! missing you in Kansas!

    ReplyDelete