Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Friday, June 22, 2012

Street Entertainment

We've watched the progress on the new road in front of our house since we moved in last November.  It's been fascinating.  Today the excitement was building in the neighborhood!  After all these months of digging out truckloads of sand, building sidewalks, making curbs and drainage ditches-- the word on the street was that tonight they would start pouring the final layer-- the cement.

Sure enough, the crowd was big and the lights were up to pour the concrete in the cooler night temps.  We white folk mosied down to be a part of the excitement as well.  The Chinese, who are building the road, issued rubber boots and gloves to the workers as the cement trucks rolled in. The yelling and cheering began.







They worked all night.  Tom estimated that they got 50 yards completed. Two cement trucks.

When I was walking up to catch a taxi into town this morning I visited with one of the Chinese supervisors who spoke some English.  I asked him if I couldn't put my initials in the cement in front of our house!  He just laughed at me and said, "Madame, this isn't a wall that you can write all over it!"  After all these years in Africa,  I've learned that it never hurts to ask.  (I'll ask again when they are right in front of our house and someone else is in charge!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment