I was taken into the courtyard where there were so many women we could barely thread our way through to the back where the mother and baby were.
The beautiful young mother.
I sat with the other women, clueless as to what was going to happen next. But when I saw them wrestle and tie down a goat and then sharpen a knife, I had a pretty good idea. The Imam came to do the initial slitting of the throat and then went out and announced to the men what the infant's name was.
We were served an assortment of popcorn, fritter-like cakes and dates and cola nuts.
The local drummers arrived. When they saw the white lady, they surrounded me and beat their drums. And beat their drums. And beat their drums. I finally concluded that this was a "you give me money and I'll quit" drumming and as I had no money for them they continued to drum! And I pretended I didn't know what they wanted. It was actually quite entertaining. They finally stopped and in frustration one of them said, "Madame, money!" They left thoroughly disgusted and went outside to play for Tom who had a coin in his pocket for them.
One of the drummers had a coin in his ear--I didn't know if this was a type of ear plug or a hint...
We were then served another dish--a sort of couscous made from corn and mixed with a certain leaf. They placed platters around the yard and we all crowded into groups and helped ourselves.
My dear "grandma" and I enjoyed the time together in spite of the fact that she speaks no French and I speak no Hausa.
There were goats and sheep in abundance in the yard along with one cow. Amazing. They licked the platters clean.
LOVED the post, Mom!
ReplyDeleteSo interesting! What a cultural experience. Thanks for sharing it and taking all the photos!
ReplyDeleteDo they do this for each baby born? I loved the part about the drummers. And yikes, you wouldn't want to eat after the goats had licked the bowls.
ReplyDelete