Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Favorite Toy

With Christmas right around the corner, my thoughts are so often with our children.  This is our first with no children and I have to say, it's not so fun.  We are so thankful that the three in America can spend the week together and thankful for special friends in France for Melissa to spend the days with.  But we also know that no matter how special the friends are, or how loving the relatives, they are never a substitute for family.  

Here in the country we now call home, there is no sign anywhere that Christmas is coming.  In fact, today when I picked up a special Christmas package at the post office and the customs chief was opening the said package and taking items out one by one, I mentioned that he was spoiling the Christmas surprise for me.  He looked at me a bit strangely and then mumbled, "oh, yeah, Christmas is tomorrow or something... "
Well, it's not until next week, but that's okay.  It was obvious it wasn't a holiday he celebrated.  He just cautioned me against eating all the candy at once!  I appreciated his concern and was thankful when it was all back in the box again.

Anyway, I digress from the true theme of this post...

One of the fascinating "toys" that we have seen boys playing with across Africa is tires.  Bicycle tires, motorcycle tires, car tires. Just the rubber part, no rims.  





We watch them race down the road using only a stick as the steering mechanism.  They are skilled at turning it and guiding it--even across 2x4 plank that straddled our drainage canal for so long.  Quite a deal.
 




1 comment:

  1. I know I read this post the first time around but I just have to say that I love the last picture here where you caught them in motion! :) You do such a great job of highlighting interesting parts of life in Niger, Marcy.

    ReplyDelete