Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 4 of Eight Days with the Nephews

Another tremendous, fun filled day.  The morning was spent canoeing up the Niger river looking for hippos.  And we found them--lots!  What incredible creatures.  Tom's been singing the kid's song
                         "Hip, hip, hip hippopotamus, hip, hip horray,
                          He made all of us ...
                          In between he had loads of fun, he made a hippo who weighs a ton."

 Remember that song?

At this minute, Matthew is researching hippos.  Here are some interesting items:   

They have been clocked moving at 20 mph.
They are considered to be one of the most dangerous animals in Africa.
They weigh 1.5 to 3 tons.

And we got to see them!  Our canoe skipper (Troy's name for him) stayed at a good distance away to avoid any hippo charges.  Our guide told us that hippos have a phenomenal memory and if you are mean to them, they will remember your voice and GETCHA next time you come around.  Oh, my, scary stuff, but not verified in Wikipedia.


It was a beautiful day for a canoe ride.



 This is the motorized model that we took.





 

 

Mama with her baby born last August.


Quite an animal.


4 comments:

  1. Whoa! I had no idea hippos are so huge! That looks like a super fun day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. momma hippo don't look 2 happy! YIKES...! thanks for posting these day's with Troy and Matthew. love to Troy Boy-A.J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcy, it's fun to see you in some of the pictures! What an adventure. I think I would have stayed far away too. Your kids have said Tom makes up songs, and they love it. Did he make up the hippo song? -Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love! I remember the song! It's real--I even have her book'

    ReplyDelete