Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 6 in Eight Days with the Nephews

Today was a quiet day:  sleeping in, taking naps, hangin' out at the house.  Of course, one of us has to cook so that person didn't nap nor sleep in!  

In the afternoon we went to the National Museum, something that our African friends have encouraged us to do for a long time.  We enjoyed it thoroughly.  It is mostly zoo animals, but also includes a large artist market and an open shed with dinosaur skeletons.  Quite impressive.  We bought a ticket for Matthew to take pictures so these are a couple of his photos:




The guys have had 2 evenings spent in dorm rooms at the University accompanied by Tom.  They both say that it has been a highlight of their time here.  Lots of laughing and story-telling.  They had a chance to be with some students who spoke some English so they could share stories of their lives and cultures. Lots of laughter and hand-slapping.


Here are some of  the nephews impressions:  
  • Troy's name has been a difficult name to pronounce.  
  • We always take our shoes off before going into a dorm room.  
  • They all laugh when we say that it's hot here.   
  • The dorms are really basic, small rooms for the number of students that sleep there. 
  •  No posters, no family pictures on the walls.
  • The rooms we visited consisted of 2 single beds with 6-7 guys sleeping in the room.  
  •  The students were happy and seemed content, in spite of their meager surroundings. 

Quote of the day, said at the supper table: 
                                       "I can speak French pretty well now."

Any guesses on who said this?



6 comments:

  1. Isn't the guy feeding the hippo really close? I thought hippos were so dangerous, I guess this is a "tame" one? Looks like a great time...I think Craig and I should be next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll give you the royal treatment too! We'd LOVE to have you.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure Troy thinks he's fluent in French after a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drum roll.... you are right Tracie! What I didn't say is that this comment was made on Day 3! He's quite a guy!

      Delete