This second group is yet a mystery to me. They carry bottles of unknown (to me) liquids on their heads and as they walk along the busy streets, they have two small empty glass bottles on the fingers that they smack together to make a unique sound that also carries about the traffic noises.
I need to do my research to find out what they are selling.
This friendly soul was sitting in front of my gate as I returned home this week, sharpening the kitchen knives of our neighbors. I first met him where I buy my fruit and vegetables and have seen him walking around the neighborhood with his sharpening device on his shoulder.
The shoe polishers are another important group. The combination of the sandy, dusty roads and the cultural importance of having nicely shined shoes, these fellas do a good business. There is usually a little stool for the client to sit on as well as a pair of flipflops to put on while the shoe polisher is doing his job.
I often heard the clanking scissors in my neighbourhood. I thought maybe that was the knife sharpener passing through. I love the way you observe and record the life happening around you, Marcy.
ReplyDeleteI forgot to add that, Beth. I have seen the clanking scissors with the scissors sharpening too.
DeleteI think the little glass bottle guy with the two little glasses is selling some kind of locally made medicines to cure what ails you. I'd be interesting to hear back after you do your research if this is the case!
ReplyDelete