Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Monday, October 17, 2011

Driving in Kansas is Quite Boring!

I have yet to get sleepy as I drive around Niamey.  The sights and sounds and smells are captivating.  We take taxis a lot and we're convinced that Niamey taxi drivers have a certain gifts.  Here are some of our observations:

The taxi's are white with a bit of orange on the top of the car.  They are all Toyota Starlets and can hold 5 people.  It costs 200 cfa (about .50) per person or you can buy all the places for 800 cfa (about $2.00).

When we are stopped at a (rare) traffic light, all the cars lined up behind  immediately honk when the light turns green.

The streets are lined with people selling potatoes, onions, cell phone cards, shoes, etc.

Camels are a common sight in the traffic, right along with the cars.  So are teams of donkeys pulling carts and even oxen with loads.

Four lanes of traffic can incredibly merge into one in a matter of seconds, without accidents and with only inches to spare.

Round points are common throughout the city.  Some give priority to those in the circle and come give priority to those entering from the right.  Keeps driving interesting.

I do close my eyes from time to time when I think an accident is about to happen!

The taxi drivers have an uncanny sense of how close they can get to something without scraping or hitting it.  Although by the looks of the cars, that sense HAS been faulty at times.



(These pictures were taken out of a window so a bit grainy.)









2 comments:

  1. you are hilarious, mom! I can't wait to drive with YOU sometime there. haha. I'll probably close my eyes then too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO many people everywhere! Are you excited or nervous to be driving soon? I think if I were you, I'd invest in a camel instead--much safer :)

    ReplyDelete