Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Saturday, November 26, 2011

In Honor of my Favorite Son

Happy Birthday to you, Andrew!  In honor of your 25 years I listed 25 sweet memories I have of you.  Here goes:  

1.  You were such a beautiful dark-haired chubby baby.  I loved you from the start! 
2.  You were so content to lay in your little basket and look around.  You slept through the night early on so I could continue in language study in France and our landlords were so thankful that THEY could sleep as well since their bedroom was underneath ours.
3.  You loved coloring flags with Clement on the terrace.  The "F" encyclopedia was the most worn book of the set. 

4.  You and your yellow blankie that always made your thumb go into your mouth. 
5.   We tried every means we could think of to get rid of your thumb sucking.  Nothing worked until you decided yourself to quit!
 6.  Going on trips with your dad--and Abel--"what town is this, Daddy".  Abel said you talked the entire trip.
7.  You were such good friends with our African staff and students.  They all loved you. You even formed your own airplane company with Norbert.
8.  You would sit with your head cocked, listening intently. 
9.  You had such beautiful blue eyes and blond hair. 
10.  All those softball games in the backyard-- "imaginary man on first!!" 
11.  You were the star of the class in 4th grade when you knew all the states and capitals. 
12.  Your French teacher gave up on trying to improve your handwriting, saying that she was glad for your sake that typewriters had been invented!
13.  Homeschooling.  I loved teaching you...except for the dawdling over those math assignments!  
14. You have always loved history.  You could remember so many facts and correct me when I got them wrong.
15.  Sending you in the bathroom with a broom and dustpan and the promise of 500 cfa if you came out with a dead gecko.
16.  Setting up little stands to sell junk you didn't want anymore or kool-aid.  
17.  Writing dog stories in church. 

.
18.  Playing football with  your dad and friends...a birthday tradition.
19.  Being so proud of you when you hit that double in your first ever baseball game in Potwin in 4th grade.
20.  Being so proud of you again when you and dad won the award for the best father/son team at the Nuts tournament.
21  Watching you graduate from ISO and being able to hand you your diploma since I was VP of the school board
 22.  So amazed at your desire and tenacity to play college football--"look, Dad, I've been recruited!" 
23. Your artistic side came out in this gorgeous work of art! Made us all hungry. 
24.  Seeing your love for the Lord develop and your faith in Jesus Christ become your own. 
25.  Watching you love and be a great big brother to 3 sisters. 

We love you dearly, son.  May the next 25 years be filled with awesome evidences of God's continued grace in your life. I've included some of my favorite Ando pictures.  All your "little guy" pics were adorable but I don't have any with me in Niger.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks mom i love u and the blog thanks u are the best.

    ReplyDelete