Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Bird City News

Bird City is home to the Dorsches.   Since 1907 there have been Dorsches living on the farm northeast of town.  The house that Tom and his bothers grew up in is the same one that was built by the Dorsch brothers and sisters that settled the land in the early 1900's.

Last month, the decision was made that Mom Dorsch should move off the farm and into town. After 60+ years on the farm, this was a huge move.  Tom and I extended our time in the States by one month to help her make the transition.

Before the move could happen, however, the Bird City Ladies Pinochle Club had their monthly card playing scheduled chez Hulda (Tom's mom).  Now, with my Mennonite roots, the only card game I was allowed to play growing up was "I Doubt It," and even that was with Rook cards (lots of lying included in that game, I admit).  When I married into the Dorsch family, however, it became imperative to learn to play (and to spell) pinochle.

So...attending AND being asked to fill in for an absentee pinochle player, was quite the deal!

We spent the morning  cleaning house and getting all the details ready. Shortly before 1:00 the lovely hostess (my MIL) was at the front door welcoming her guests.  


The tables were set with the best dishes and coffee was brewing.




The women drew a score card that assigned them to a particular chair/table,


and before any playing could begin, we served lovely pieces of cheesecake with either strawberry or blueberry topping and coffee.






 Usually there are 3 groups of 4 women playing, plus the hostess who doesn't play.  She's in charge of the food. Due to scheduling conflicts there were only 7 players plus me which made two tables of four.


More important info:  these were not just random women chosen out of the phone book, but most of these women have been playing together for years.  As many as fifty plus years ago, seven Bird City couples (including Tom's parents) formed a pinochle club and once a month the seven families would gather for an evening, eat a meal together and then while the couple's played cards, the  kids would play.  The women's club has a long history as well.



After an hour and a half of playing, it was time for a break and iced drinks and snacks were served.


Six rounds later and it was time to tally up the scores to find out who would be the winners of the grand prizes.

FYI:  I didn't win, but I didn't come in last either!


 Mom's move to town could only take place after hosting the Ladies Pinochle Club!  More concerning The Great Move coming soon!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my. That is precious. Go Dorsch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A neat history of the club and day of playing. The house looked great! I do wonder what the grand prize was. -Terry

    ReplyDelete