The suitcases are unpacked; there is ice water in the water jug; there are frequent telephone calls/visitors at the door from friends welcoming us back; I've exchanged my comfy jeans and capris for African clothes; our dear Kirk and Becca scooped 3 months worth of dirt out of the house and washed the floors so we could move right back in; our next-door neighbors brought over goat meat they had saved for us for 3 days from last Sunday's Muslim holiday, Tabaski; another friend brought delicious taco soup that we've already had for two meals.
I'm mostly glad to be back.
I'm missing the unsurpassed Kansas sunrises and sunsets immensely; the fresh, clean country air (as long as it wasn't southeast wind, Gordon!); the quiet; being able to look out windows and see beautiful landscape instead of an 8 foot cement brick wall; the cool fall air; the sounds of newly purchased calves balling; and the visits of family and friends we love so dearly.
Now it's time to turn the page and dive into life on "Mulberry Street" once again! While I'm doing that I'm going to walk down memory lane and relish again the wonderful times we had during the past 3 months. You can join me.
I arrived in Kansas at the end of June (Tom stayed in Niger until 3 days before the wedding) to get ready for the big event: our daughter Erika becoming Mrs. Kyle Albrecht.
The weeks prior to the big day were filled with so many fun things and I have to say, that due to so much incredible help from family and friends, we seldom felt stressed or overwhelmed. There were those momentary times when I wondered if the reason I wasn't stressing was because I was forgetting something important.
We shopped for food for the reception:
and tried out a slider--they were so cute with the little flags! And delicious!
Erika had painted so many cute signs for the wedding and I got a chance to surprise her with one in our yard...for the whole world to see...at least everyone who was privileged to drive by on 130th Street.
We had a brunch for Erika and her beautiful bridesmaids.
And the 25th of July came and all was ready and beautiful.
The wedding was celebrated at our church followed by the reception at a barn of some friends. The evening was perfect.
What a beautiful day celebrated with friends and family.
This was the first month. Stay tuned for more posts describing the rest of the summer's events.





oh Marcy...I loved it and will look forward to the other posts from your summer. What a dear picture of the three girls. All the pictures are great...seems a long time ago already. Plus Gordon got mentioned in the blog! -Terry
ReplyDelete