Matt. 28
"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20
Making a fashion statement!
We walk a lot. I enjoy it as there is never a lack of interesting things to see. The downside is footwear. I would love to wear my tennis shoes when I walk through the deep sand or on the rocky, uneven paths, all the while skirting the "deposits" made by the many animals that use the same path. But alas, tennis shoes with dresses just aren't "a la mode" here. So, this week, as I was preparing to combine my exercise walking with going to the office for a meeting, I decided to throw caution to the wind and wear my tennis shoes with my beautiful purple boubou (African dress). I was hoping that no one would notice my white tennies peeking out from under my dress IF it the skirt was long enough and IF I walked so fast that my shoes would just be a blur as I passed by.
The walk was absolutely wonderful. Wading through sand had never been so easy. Leaping over "the deposits" was delightful. But, oh, my, did I get a lot of strange looks and even a few giggles. I just lifted my chin and kept trucking. Kris, you would have been so proud of me! I repeated this on Tuesday and then Wednesday, as I walked out of my gate, wearing sandals like normal women do, the eyes of my neighbors immediately went to my feet! I'm sure they were disappointed in my choice of shoes (or not!).
Rest assured, I do take along my sandals to change when I arrive at the office. I've included a few pictures of the "deposit-ers" we saw on the main road walking home from church on Sunday.
BTW, did you know that it is illegal to eat donkeys in Niger? I just found that out this week. Not that I've ever been tempted...
I see a deposit in one of the pictures, lol
ReplyDelete