Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 9 Photo a Day: Something you do everyday

Something I do everyday... I asked Lindsay what she would say and she said "sweat".  But I don't want to talk about the weather everyday so I went with a sensible, everyday habit:  brushing my teeth.  I didn't bother to take a picture of my toothbrush, much too mundane.  But I did get some pictures of the tooth brush sticks that are used all over in Niger.


They are about 10 inches long.  Just strips of wood from a certain tree.  There is another kind made out of a reddish wood that tastes sweet and, according to my neighbor, chewing on one of these sticks takes care of cavities and anything else that might be wrong with your teeth.  

We were on our way home in a taxi when we saw a pile of the tooth-sticks so our taxi man pulled over and bought us 3 of them for a nickel.  Not a bad price without coupons!



I was outside my gate visiting with my neighbor about these local toothbrushes: how to use them, how long do they last, etc. when "Grandma" walked out of  the yard, grabbed one of my sticks, broke it in two and gave my half back and stuck the other in her mouth!  I figured I deserved a picture for that!  I understand that they work better when the end is worn down a bit, and becomes a bit frayed like a ... toothbrush.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Marcy, I just discovered your blog through Melissa's Facebook. It is fantastic! I've gone back and read months of posts. We are still in France, but the two boys are in Kansas. Wil, our oldest is transferring to Emporia State this next year. I hope he can meet Lindsay. He would love to have a French speaking friend. Blessings to you and Tom.
    nancy austin

    ReplyDelete