Matt. 28

"I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:20

Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Grandsons come for dinner

We love having students over for dinner and tonight was the first since arriving in Niger.
Our guests were the ones who love to call us Grandmère et Grandpère. (Grandma and Grandpa)
The five of them, plus one more, share a dorm room that has 2 single beds.
They were invited for 7:00 and finally all arrived at 8:00.
We'd invited 4 and 5 came.
They greeted me "Bonsoir, Grandmère."
I replied (kindly and with a smile), "Je m'appelle Marcy." (My name is Marcy)
               

I realized too late in the day that I really didn't have serving plates/bowls for serving food at the table.  My mom taught me well--NEVER put kettles on the table!  Sorry mom,  I had no choice.

The salad was served on the plastic lid of my cake pan.
The bread was served in a pie plate.
The couscous was served in my tupperware bread bowl.
The sauce for the couscous went on the table in the kettle it was cooked in!

 I really think I was the only one who noticed or cared.
Salad and baguette with vinaigrette dressing
Everyone loves this dressing.  
The recipe is from my dear friend, Nancy Burg.
Even the boys asked for the recipe!

Couscous is a common meal here. We love it.
 I made the sauce with lots of vegetables which are so available right now. 

Peanut butter cookies for dessert
 along with "Lipton"(tea) and "Nescafé"(instant coffee)... and LOTS of sugar cubes. Oh, my!  

They wanted the "American" experience of eating so Tom explained:
           that we sit at the table for our meals.
           we pass the food from one person to the next.
           if we need something we ask "please pass the ____."

Quite a new experience for them.
Tom was a regular "Emily Post".
They were aghast that they would be served first, rather than Tom, the older man and the host.
They didn't even notice that I didn't eat with them--just served them.

A great evening.

If you haven't read about our titles, grandma and grandpa, click here:  
http://marcyandtom.blogspot.com/2012/01/grandfather-and-grandmother.html

2 comments:

  1. The Grandson's come for dinner, LOL!!! the meal looks wonderful and you managed well with what you had...I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool Mom! great post! I want to come and eat your yummy food! I'd eat with you and Linds in the kitchen or the air conditioned office!! :)

    ReplyDelete